Who doesn’t looooove mashed potatoes? We all do…until we either make them ourselves or watch someone else mix up potatoes with sticks of buttah, heavy cream, and cream cheese. Hello – not figure friendly.
So I was SUPER PUMPED one day watching sweet, precious Gina and Pat Neely on The Food Network come up with this genius mashed potato replacement: Mashed Cauliflower and Cheese. They look like mashed potatoes and the Neely’s “MMMs” and “YUMs” made the dish sound like mashed potatoes…
BOOOONK (game show wrong answer sound)!! Let’s just say not a favorite of the ‘Zach-o-meter’.
So for those of you who think my man, Zach (o-meter), loves all food (most of the time you’re right)…this one was a total miss. As promised, we share the yummies and the not-so-yummies and hey – maybe you’re a huge cauliflower fan and will love it (insert rolling of the eyes…).
Mashed Cauliflower and Cheese Ingredients
1 large head cauliflower, finely chopped (about 2 pounds)
1 cup chicken stock (I used organic low sodium chicken broth)
2 tablespoons roasted garlic (I used regular chopped, not roasted)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup whole milk (I used fat free Half and Half b/c I had it in the fridge…might have been part of the problemo!)
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar
1/4 cup reduced fat sour cream
2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Add the cauliflower to a medium-sized saucepan along with the chicken stock.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and cook until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Stir in the milk and puree with an immersion blender until smooth. (First time I got to use my handheld blender/mixer. You could also put it in a regular blender to mix up if you don’t have a handheld – just more to clean up.)
- Mix in the cheese and taste for seasoning.
- Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl and garnish with sour cream and chives.
To top it off it was our first time to smoke ribs on the Old Smokey smoker cooker…and the ribs I bought at the store were SMELLY AND SICK! Strike two. So we ended up eating our weight in Dynamite Deviled Eggs. Those things never fail to impress…
So we tried to be all healthy with the cauliflower…fail. It wasn’t fluffy like potatoes, was runny and even with all the seasoning and cheese it was flavorless. BUM-ner!! Bomb-out big time.
Zach-o-meter: “If you have to eat cauliflower, eat it raw and dunk it in some full fat ranch dressing. And just mash POTATOES if that’s what you’re looking for…”
Haha! You know what happens after a sub-par meal? ICE CREAM! (bad meal = freebee to eat dessert!)
Download a printable (pictureless) recipe PDF by clicking the below link:
Dine with a Darling – Mashed Cauliflower and Cheese