One of my all-time favorite desserts. Anything with brownies in it I just adore and this bowl of chocolaty, coffee hinted fluffiness is no different. My mother-in-law and sister-in-law gave me a trifle dish as a wedding shower gift (along with the secrets to this outstanding treat) and I love them for it!
Obviously you can make this dessert without the special trifle bowl, but a clear bowl is a must – really makes it to show off the yummy layers.
How perfect would this be to take to a summer party?! Can’t you just picture serving this on a back porch, tummies full of char grilled burgers with a side of potato salad, iced down beers in a cooler, tiki torches keeping the mosquitoes at bay, crickets singing off in the distance, great conversation and laughter with friends…mmm…summer…
Well if you’re going to ever get to that summer party, I guess we better get cookin’!
Mocha Toffee Trifle Ingredients:
1 box brownie mix (and ingredients to bake)
2 (small) boxes instant white chocolate pudding
2 cups milk
2 8oz Cool Whip containers (one for mixing and one for topping)
5 Heath Bars or at least ¾ bag of small Heath Bars chopped (can also get Heath Bar bits already chopped up, but make sure you get the bag WITH chocolate)
4 tablespoons instant coffee dissolved in ¼ cup HOT water
1. Bake brownies in a 9×13 inch pan.
2. Cool and cut brownies into small pieces (about 1×1 inch squares).
3. Whisk milk and pudding until thick.
4. Fold 8oz of Cool Whip into pudding mixture and stir thoroughly.
5. Add dissolved coffee to pudding (and Cool Whip) mixture and blend thoroughly.
6. In Trifle bowl or another clear bowl, layer 1/3 brownies, 1/3 pudding mixture, 1/3 Heath Bar bits.
7. Repeat layers 2 more times.
8. Top with as much Cool Whip as you please…we recommend using the entire other 8 oz container! (Gives a great backdrop for the Heath sprinkles on top)
9. Sprinkle the top with more chopped Heath Bar bits.
The Cool Whip gives an otherwise heavy brownie dessert a light texture and the instant coffee gives a shot of flavor sophistication. I promise you will impress at your summer picnic so give it a try!
Zach-o-meter: I mean…do I have to say? A Schneider family favorite, it has chocolate in it, you can eat it with a spoon (aka Shovel in his eyes) = a total winner! Just keep him (and any other sweet toothed snackers) out of the kitchen when you’re making it or your Heath Bar bits might mysteriously disappear…
Download a printable (pictureless) recipe PDF by clicking the below link:
Dine with a Darling – Mocha Toffee Trifle PDF